Saturday, January 31, 2009

Jury Duty and Parties

Yesterday left me with no real time to write down a blog post, though I knew well what its subject was apt to be. All this week, I've been on call for jury duty here in LA County. I knew this would be coming late last year, when I sought and received a postpostment. Every night starting Sunday, I've had to call a hotline to see if my presence was required at a courthouse downtown. Each night, the voice assured me that it was not. I guess I got complacent about it.

Thursday night I was out with a friend to hear a speech he gave about his faith at a church. When it was through, I was quite tired, and didn't really think of calling. The following morning, I woke up miraculously early. Around 7:30, it occurred to me that I should call to make sure I wasn't needed. Instead of that expected outcome, I was told that in fact I was required to be down at the courthouse at 7:45. Even if I had been driving myself, that would have been insufficient time. As it was, depending on public transportation as I do, I was awfully late. The whole way, I was very concerned that they would be mad at me, and I would be in trouble.

All the worry turned out to be unnecessary. I arrived in time to hear most of the orientation, and all was cool. As for my service, it was rather uneventful. I nearly got into a courtroom once, but the defendant took a plea bargain, and we were sent back to one of the waiting rooms. That was about it. All I really did was get some reading done. We were told that we could get into the Museum of Contemporary Art free during our lunch break. Being something of an art enthusiast, I decided that's what I would do. I made the brief walk to the museum, only to find out what the courthouse never knew: The museum was closed until some time in February. Big disappointment. I grabbed some fast food and headed back to the courthouse.

When we were cleared to leave about 4 o'clock, I went home to take a shower and get ready for that evening's diversion: actor of note Rainn Wilson would be giving an address on his religious faith in his home, and through a friend I was invited. Firstly, I was happy to make the acquaintance of two lovely women also invited by my friend. The four of us went out to Rainn's house, which is lovely, and mingled a bit before things got started. A couple of Rainn's co-stars were present, as was a jazz vocalist of note, and many other people also too intimidating to approach.

Rainn's speech was eloquent and well-informed. As one might expect, it was punctuated by interruptions of Rainn's humor. Following that, some delicious catered food was put out, and I made an effort to socialize (which is quite difficult for me). I depended heavily on the few people I knew, and was able to speak briefly to Rainn and some other people. It was a nice time, as out of place as I felt. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm a name-dropper. This is just what I did last night, and let me make it clear that this was a very unusual and notable evening for me.

Today and Monday, I'll be working on a friend's movie shoot. I had meant to do the same Sunday, but can't bear to miss the Super Bowl, especially as my favorite team, the Cardinals, will be playing. I think I can be excused for watching a team more than a century old playing in its first Super Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?