Sunday, February 1, 2009

film shoot

Saturday, I was mostly occupied with the task of helping friend Caitlyn with a student film. I don't actively seek out opportunities to work for free, but a number of factors made me happy to participate in this one. Caitlyn is awesome, and after I read the script she sent, I couldn't say no. I briefly explained the story on facebook, but to elaborate:

An early 1900s carnival entrepeneur purchases a savage cannibal to to be shown in his freak show. Initially defiant, she wilts and wastes away in captivity. A little person becomes infatuated with her, plying her with drinking water. He then offers one of his ears for her consumption, which she accepts. The film ends with the cannibal having eaten her admirer, and seeming gaining a new lease on life. Presumably the little person was a willing participant in the act of being eaten.

As I said, I found the script very appealing, and agreed to come and help Saturday. The shoot took place on one of the stages operated by USC's film program. The small but enthusiastic and competent crew worked slowly at first, but picked up speed and finisher roughly at the time planned. It was fun watching Caitlyn as a director as opposed to a PA.

I was happy to make the acquaintance of the others on the crew, and particularly enjoyed meeting the cast. Mark, who played the ringmaster, brought much of Vincent Price and a considerable amount of David Carradine into his performance. It may not be that he did so conciously; I just offer that as an observation of Mark's performance. I should note that the whole film was intended to be in the style of a moody and sort of expressionistic silent film, and the performances, costumes, makeup and all bear that out.

Jennifer, in the role of the Cannibal Women, was convincingly wild and appealing. I should add that she was a very good sport about enduring somewhat uncomfortable conditions. Scott played the role of the little person, and was fascinating to speak to during down time. Evidently he acts as the MC of a freak show of his own, and offered insights of that nature. Hawk played Sandow the Strong Man. I was intrigued by that role, having watched footage of the real Eugen Sandow. Sandow was one of the earliest people to even appear on film, as I faintly recall from my history of film classes. Lastly, I would be remiss if I failed to note the presence and performance of Nicky(Nikki? sic?) as the Bearded Lady. Interesting note- the fake beard she wore was called "The Rabbi".

What else to mention? The craft services offering was modest, as might be expected, but the lunch of a Subway tray was welcome and delicious. I ate several myself, including the last one. Following the conclusion of the day's work, we talked some, and parted ways. Caitlyn and I went off to find a taxi after stopping off for spudnuts.

On taxis: I don't take them in general. I find them expensive and largely unnecessary. Since it was Caitlyn's wish to take one, I went along with it. We picked it up around 30 street or so, taking it as far as 7th. I caught the subway from there, and Caitlyn got on a bus, I think.

It was a good time. I'm glad I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?