Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Oscars

I haven't written anything in a few days, which is unacceptable, of course. Since I last wrote, a couple of things have happened.

Sunday I went to the Universal City Hilton to volunteer for my alma mater's LA Oscar party. It looked like something worth doing, and it proved to be. The commute was easy enough both ways, which is never assured when using public transportation. I got there a minute or two after the requested 3 o'clock, which falls within the margin of error when it comes to clocks. I likely would have gotten to the hotel sooner if not for the fact that I had to hustle something like half a mile up hill. I'm in reasonably good shape and not a complainer, but I was definitely breathing a little heavy and sweating a bit when I got to the hotel.

I proved to be there with time to spare, as our little meeting to assign duties happened several minutes later. It was divided into two shift of three hours each. The first shift included several people working the check-in desk and one guy greeting people outside the door. The second shift, to which I was assigned, had just one person at the check-in desk, someone else doing I don't know what, and me with two duties. Firstly, I was responsible for collecting surveys intended to collect information about how guests found out about the party, and how they liked it. Secondly, I helped out a little with breaking things down after things were over.

Since I was "off-duty" from 3:30 to 6:30, I took advantage of it. I read my book some (Death Wish, the basis for the Charles Bronson film), and had myself a world-class Manhattan. I was dressed perhaps not as nicely as I ought to have been, so the bartender was suspicious about whether I was supposed to be there. I assured him that I was, and he relented. After the one drink, I stuck to soda, not wanting to lose my composure or embarrass myself.

About 5 0'clock, the salad bar started. It was a very good spread, but it was difficult to pick out what you wanted, because there was very little light illuminating the table. Something like an hour later, the main meal started. There was some kind of roast beef and turkey. I had both, and they were tasty. There was also roast potatoes and something else.

I was able to watch the beginning of the awards, and my general impression(though I missed much of the show) was that this year's ceremonies were well done. I understand that the ratings were something like 8 or 9 percent over last year, which doesn't say much, as bad as the ratings were then.

At 6:30, I got started in my duties. I had to go around to every table in the very large ballroom and see if people had done their surveys. Most hadn't, so I waited around for people to fill them out. Perhaps it was rather early to be doing them, since the party was no more than half over. In any event, it took quite a while to get through that. It was easy enough though, except for the tables near the stage which were full of big shots. I then had some more time to myself before I had to make another circuit through the ballroom, so I believe I read some more.

During the party, I encountered a couple of guys that I know. It was cool talking to both of them, and one may end up being able to pass some work my way. That would be nice.

Anyway, I collected a few more surveys and the little stubby pencils on each table, and that was really it for that part of things, so there was some more free time for me to watch the last awards of the night. That was nice.

After that, I helped collect some signs and their easels, and that was really all there was to the night. I waited around a bit to see if I was needed, then said goodbye and caught my bus.

Since then, nothing of note happened until today. Some possible work from a friend has come along, and I'll have more to say about that later. I can be more candid about the second thing, which is that I was asked to prepare my second speech for toastmasters. It's actually that I'm going to be the backup speaker at a club contest. The real event is how good the evaluator is, but the evaluator has to have a speech to hear, so someone else is expected to do that. If they can't make it, I'll fill in. If not, I'll save the speech for another time. So I'm working on that, and hope to be sharp enough after practicing tomorrow. I'll report on that Thursday night or Friday. Incidentally, Thursday night I hope to get back to the improv comedy class I've gone to a couple of times. It's fun and challenging, and the people there are cool. Things just keep getting in the way of me attending. Anyway, I hope to have something to say about that.

Goodbye until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?