Saturday, March 7, 2009

The World Baseball Classic Comes Around Again

Currently, the opening round of that event is being played in several cities around the world. I have a number of thoughts about it.

I still don't care for the name "World Baseball Classic". It sounds like some kind of charity exhibition, and not a serious international competition. It ought to be called the Baseball World Cup, putting it in line with other events of its kind.

I'm also personally critical of some of the tournament rules. There's a rule for pitch count, and a mercy rule, and others, I gather. I guess I wish they could play by MLB rules, but I'm cognizant of the need for an international standard of play.

All that aside, I'm very interested in the tournament. I'm hopeful that someday the event could have the same stature as the soccer or cricket World Cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?