Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

I have three things going on today. This morning, I went to Easter Mass at a local Catholic church. In a little bit, I'm going to visit a former roommate for Easter dinner. Then tonight, a second dinner here at home with an indeterminate number of people being invited by my current roommate.

Now, I hadn't stepped inside a Church (except to vote) in a long time. I can't remember the last time. It's been years, for sure. Today I went though, at the behest of my mother. I was resistant to the idea, but actually I had kind of been waiting for a nudge to go. It was a good experience, actually. I may try to make a habit of going again.

I considered going to Our Lady of the Angels Cathedral downtown, but I decided I'd better stay close to home since I was going to be busy much of the rest of the day. I ended up at St. Jane Frances de Chantal, a nice church here in North Hollywood. It seemed like a good idea to go with a Catholic, as that's the background of my mother's family.

It was a well attended mass. There were hymns, there was scripture, and a pretty good sermon sermon. I've had some indigestion recently, so the blood of Christ didn't sit so well, but I don't blame Jesus for that. I was a little ill at ease. As I said, it's been a while, and I never really knew all the right things to say and do during a Mass. Hopefully I'll pick it up.

After Mass, I came back home for a little while to relax before the day's next event. This would be dinner with a former roommate from the last place I lived. She is a middle-aged woman from the Bahamas. Her daughter also lived with us, so it was nice to see them both. I got there about three o'clock as requested, thinking it oddly early.

Dinner itself proved to not come until well after five, but it was pleasant enough catching up until then. The daughter had gotten pregnant not too long after we all moved out of the old house (not to get into that story too much, but we had to move out after the owner was foreclosed on). So of course I had plenty of questions about that.

Also in attendance were a couple of other women and their children, none of whom I had previously met. So then, it was nice to talk to them, and weird but interested to talk to their children, five and six years old.

Dinner was good. There was chicken, broccoli, home-made macaroni and cheese, rice, and plenty to drink (the only alcohol, though was wine which I brought). They were kind enough to ask me to take some of the food home, and did not have to work hard to persuade me to accept.

The last event on the agenda was a dinner party put on by my current roommate. As it was a potluck, the offerings were of a wide and haphazard variety, but such is the fun of potluck. It's just good fun to eat and drink and talk with people your age, whether they're very much like you or not. As I may has said in the past, many of the people who come to these things are from Europe- mainly France and Belgium. We spent quite a while playing Password. It was a good time, and I didn't wind up feeling sick after, though I was incredibly tired after getting up around five thirty that morning.

It was a good, full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?