Sunday, April 12, 2009

Jimmy's Char-Broiled Burgers

I found myself in need of a couple of stamps on Saturday. I discovered that neither of the post offices near me are open for retail service on Saturdays. You can access the PO boxes and the stamp machine, but the machine only sells books of stamps. I almost never have need of stamps, generally doing everything online, so I'm loathe to pay nearly nine dollars for a book of stamps when the rate is bound to go up before I use them all.

Thusly, I needed to go to a little post office inside a water store about a mile north on Lankershim. The way the neighborhood transitions between the subway station and this post office is interesting. The subway station is the northernmost point of the NoHo arts district: fairly vibrant and fashionable. Between that point and Vanowen, it becomes a little gritty and rundown. Then there's a block above Vanowen that looks like some shabby, desolate border town. Then it looks just a little worse than the block I live on. That's where the post office in the water store is.

The post office was tiny- just a counter in the water store. A little like the post office inside a Hallmark store back home, at least before they renovated it. They had what I needed, and the lady was nice. She appeared to be from someplace in south Asia. Hard to say where. Anyway, I was in and out of there quickly.

I went out to wait at the bus stop, which was right outside a restaurant bearing the name in the title of this post. It seemed to me that they call it Jimmy's because it's too expensive to change the sign. There might be a Jaime in the store, but I'm guessing there's no Jimmy. That's no judgement, just an observation. I liked the look of the restaurant. They had a broad menu. Breakfast, a selection of dinners, hot dogs, Mexican and burgers. I could eat there.

When I approached the bus bench, I was stunned to discover a vagrant lying there. I had been about to sit on him. I opted to stand. The bus took a while to come, and since there were other people waiting for the bus, I decide to examine the restaurant, gleaning the information I offered above. The vagrant got up and appeared to urinate against one of the walls of the restaurant. I decided not to seek confirmation by smelling the area of the incident. I'm sure I can be excused for not really doing my due diligence before making a claim like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?