Thursday, April 9, 2009

On Beer

When I got to be old enough to drink, I took a real interest in beer. I was briefly interested in hard liquor at one time, but mainly it's just been beer. I've never really had an interest in wine. I was told by my dentist that it was a bad idea to drink red wine. Perhaps I might try white wine.

I believe the first case of beer I bought was Miller High Life. Must have been the Errol Morris commercials working on me. I made a habit of buying something different. I never have been one for the domestic big time beers, so it was mainly imports and microbrews. That changed when I got to college, when it was pretty much all PBR.

I'd say that my favorites over the five years that I've been old enough to drink have been as follows: My favorite has to be Fat Tire. After that, I would say Modelo and its dark version, Negro Modelo. Fat Tire is just the best-tasting thing out there. The Modelos are great, and come in an awesome bottle. Guinness is an iconic beer, and is something special on tap. I liked Rolling Rock until they sold out. Currently, is Cerveza Caguama, a fine product of El Salvador. I gather there are many Salvadorans in the LA area, but I imagine it's all Mexicans to most people.

My drinking habits are on a modest scale. At the most, I'll have a beer a day, possibly skipping sometimes. That can change a little when the booze is free. Even then, I try to restrain myself. Drinking very much leads to drunkeness, which has obvious consequences. I tend to get to feeling sick if I have very much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?