Monday, April 6, 2009

Saturday Night On The Town

I did a couple of things of note Saturday. I had read a flyer earlier in the week indicating that Quantum of Solace would be screened that afternoon, and so made plans to be there before I went to the baseball game. I found that the situation was reasonably agreeable. Some six or seven people were in attendance for what I learned was the first of an apparently indefinite series of Saturday screenings. The films of each month will be of a common genre.

This month will feature action-adventure films, which they seem to define relatively loosely, as next week will feature Wanted. Next month's theme will be romantic comedies. I'm less enthusiastic about that prospect, though it will depend upon the exact films. As I said, the situation is reasonable. The room is fine, and the screen is nice and big. The sound is sub-par by the standards of a theater, but is acceptable. I imagine I'll be back regularly, provided I'm interested in the film of the week.

After the movie it was back to Dodger Stadium for the final home exhibition game. The following day they would play a last exhibition in San Francisco with a "B" squad. Today they faced San Diego in the season opener, about which I will wrote momentarily.

I hadn't eaten all day, and so was starving. Nevertheless, I soldiered on the time game, not wanting to be late for the first pitch. I made it fine, and settled in. I was hoping to again see some of the people I had gotten to know by attending so many games in that section the last couple of years. I knew that Jim would not be there, but hoped that others would be. Greg and Ernie were not there, but Danny was. I thought that perhaps we would have the chance to talk a bit, but evidently such did not interest him. That was too bad, but I never talked to him as much as I did the others anyway.

The game itself was of no real consequence. The team played well enough until the end, when they allowed the Brewers to mount a comeback late in the game. I'm not sure how it worked out, as I left early (uncharacteristic for me, but it was just pre-season). I knew I would have to get something to eat on my way back, as I could not bear to go to bed hungry, and did not have any real food at home.

When I get off the subway, I alway check to see how long it will be before the first bus comes. If it's to come in less time than it takes to walk home, I wait for the bus. This time, it was just ten minutes or so, so I waited. I opted to get off and get a burger at In-n-Out, though. I annoyed myself by getting off a stop early by mistake. I knew that there was a stop right in front of the restaurant, but forgot that there was another almost right before it. It just meant walking a couple minutes before I got there, but it was annoying. I got the double double animal style, with regular fries and a dr. pepper, and hustled the mile from there back to the apartment. End of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?