Friday, May 8, 2009

The Library.

Previously I mentioned going to the library. The public library is, in my opinion, possibly the best thing that public dollars are spent on. It occurred to me after not really writing anything for several days that I had a bit more to say about the matter. I've been in library branches belonging to a few different systems. I have also been a consistent user of the libraries in schools I attended. I'll start with the school libraries. Here's a review of libraries I've used.

Firstly, I remember the library in my first school at Squaw Peak Elementary (I don't know whether they changed the name of the school when they changed the name of the mountain. It would be sad to think they did, all politics aside). It was a simple room with books lining two walls, a corner for public reading, an administrative space, a computer area. I don't think that last area was there when I started kindergarten, just because computers were not so integrated at the time.

The next couple of school libraries are Sequoia and Cocopah. I have a vague recollection of the former, but didn't make much use of it. I don't really have such fond memories of the latter, which is too bad. I guess I didn't care for the librarian. Awfully strict, so it was hard to have any fun in there during lunch. I really only was in there when compelled to be for class.
After that was Chaparral High School's library. I was in there quite a bit, for class and also recreation. I don't know of anyone else that went in there to read for fun. I specifically recall checking out and reading for fun Ender's Game, The Caine Mutiny, and The Murder of Roger Ackyroyd.

Following that was the library at Scottsdale Community College. I first went there and used it when I took a screenwriting class during my senior year of high school. That was a pretty decent library. I first read some of Anais Nin's diaries after checking them out there. I like her writing.
After that would be the library at Columbia College. That was a good library, understandably strong in the arts area. I seldom checked things out of there, because I lived so close to the main branch of the Chicago Public Library.

Now for the public libraries. The Mesquite branch of the Phoenix system is the first I can recall. It used to look different, but then they remodeled it. It looks all right on the inside, but the natural light can be a problem. There are these metal poles that I don't think work too well. The point is that there are books, periodicals and computers there. The phoenix system was also really the first place where I made use of inter-location loans, where you request a book from another location and receive it at your local one. For a period of time, I was actually attending school inside a Phoenix library's meeting space, and a friend and I requested a biography of Scatman Crothers as a joke. Later I requested a biography of Woody Guthrie recommended by Bruce Springsteen during a recording of Springsteen's take on This Land Is Your Land. I didn't finish that biography, unfortunately. I intend to in future. In the same system is the Burton Barr main branch. It's a lovely library, really. Pretty inside and out, and fully functional. They have a special room for Arizona History, and have some good stuff in there.

Now, there's also the Scottsdale system. It's smaller, but its libraries are great. The Civic Center library is great, having a good selection as well as special sealed of study/research chambers. The only computers I remember were text only, but they must have had regular ones. In any case, I imagine there have been changes in the years since I've last been there. Now, closer to my family's home was the Mustang Branch- smaller than the Civic Center, but still fairly good.

After that, the next one I recall well is the Chicago system. I lived first a couple blocks away from the main branch, then moved directly across from it. It's huge and gorgeous.Something like 10 stories tall. Hard to get on a computer there. Great selection though, obviously. Used it heavily, though somehow didn't read as many books from there as where I am now. The city of Chicago had a program designed to get everyone reading the same thing, and I recall one was a Jane Austen novel. I started it but didn't finish it (I don't want to give the impression that I read little or don't finish books. I read more than most human beings, and usually finish them). On one occasion, I was too impatient to wait for a book to come from a further branch, so I went to this other branch to get it. It was ok, and didn't stand out.

Then, apart from those systems, the one I know best is the one here, the Los Angeles Public Library. Probably the biggest system I've been to. It's really very good, although only the regional branches are open on Sunday. Also, the non-regionals have shorter hours on some other days. Mainly great though. I have to say that LA's main branch is not my favorite. Good selection and availability, although too many of the books are damaged. I guess they don't have the funds to replace all of them. Good selection of DVDs specifically. My branch here also has screenings sometimes.

And that was the last of the bunch. I have more library thoughts, but that's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?