Monday, May 25, 2009

On "Freedom's Fury"

Some time ago the famous "Blood In The Water" match of the 1956 Melbourne Summer Olympics came to my attention. I'm as interested as anyone when politics intersect with athletics, since those two subjects are two of my favorite. Either one is capable of inflaming my passions sufficiently to make me lose my composure.

Now, about that match: In the weeks leading up to those Games, a popular uprising came about in Hungary against the occupying Soviet Union. The freedom fighters succeeded in driving out the Soviets, but it further transpired that the latter party was able to re-invade and brutally put down the revolution after some thirteen days.

Two weeks later, Hungary's great water polo team found itself facing off against the USSR team in an Olympic semi-final match. It was a hard-fought, bitter contest, during which a cheap shot by a Russian player left an opposing Hungarian bleeding profusely from the face, hence the name popularly ascribed to the match. Hungary would win the match, and once again, the gold medal.

While I enjoyed the film, I found it deficient in a couple of respects. I found the opening title sequence to be somewhat cheesy, first of all. A small matter, perhaps, for a documentary. Secondly, I found fault with the numerous interviews, which comprise much of the film. A number of them were filmed outdoors, causing ambient noise to distract from the content of the words. That's really not so bad either.

Ultimately, I feel that the film has great worth. While much of the film consists of those interviews as well as film and photographs documenting the events of the period, a recently shot sequence capturing the reunion of players from both teams was quite pleasing. A good documentary due to its subject matter, if not one of the best I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?