Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chess

I indicated after the purchase of a chess set that I would have more to say. Firstly, I'm not very good. I need to study more and develop my mind so that I can see more moves ahead. I'm going to play as much as I can, and check out some books.

Now, about my chess playing past: I have a faint recollection of playing with my father very early, but there's not much to that. What I remember well is the chess I played in charter school. I had an excellent teacher at that time- maybe the best teacher I've ever had. He was sort of a Professor X to a team of X-Men. I mean by that that he fostered the development of a group of exceptionally special kids. We all seemed to have amazing accomplishments in our futures. We were all child prodigies of a kind. He got us into movies, animation, physics, and among other things, chess.

We had something like 15 or so chess sets, and played regularly. We had rankings and scheduled matches by ranking. As I said, I'm not very good and was not any better then. I was not the worst, though. I remember a match against someone in particular. She had me on the brink of defeat, but because she didn't know how to put me away, I kept slipping off the hook. I started gloating after each move, which was inappropriate. The teacher got fed up, and put me in checkmate in one movie. It was memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?