Sunday, October 18, 2009

On The Set

Much as I wanted to share an account of my first day on my latest shoot right away, my body failed me when I got back last night. Here it is: My call time was 1pm. I left home for the set in Hollywood a little after noon with the expectation that I would get off the subway at Hollywood and Vine about 12:43. The train turned out to be four minutes late, making me hustle to get the rest of the way on foot. I could have taken a bus the rest of the way, but wasn't about to risk being late so that I could catch a bus I would be on for only two minutes. I got there a couple minutes after 1, but was praised for being on time due to a likely discrepancy in the accuracy of timepieces.

Initially all I had to do was organize the craft service table. It was not especially well organized, so I dealt with that. The next thing was preparing for the company meal. I was asked to go down to the Subway to check on catering options, and brought back a menu and some info. Shortly thereafter, I returned to place an order. Making this a little trickier was that I was going on foot unbeknownst to the producer sending me. I just ran as much as I could, and no one on the crew seemed to realize why I came back all sweaty. Later I picked up the food together with another crewmember.

The shoot mainly took place on a sidewalk on a residential Hollywood street. A lot of people seemed not entirely pleased with our presence, but they were tolerant. A moving van which showed up at the building next door made things a little trickier on the street, which was rather busy. I was glad when that was done.

After shooting was done, we ate. Like I said, it was Subway. We got a large tray of sandwiches- Italian, Roast Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Tuna. For sides, we actually went next door to Al Wazir Chicken, getting some hummus and pita, along with salads and some little brown ball things. It was good, and I was glad to take some leftovers home.

Circumstances made it necessary to find a new actor for some minor role, and so later today I will be playing some kind of peg-legged pirate. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?