Monday, November 2, 2009

In The Arena, Briefly

Sunday was eventful for me in the barest sense. I spent much of the day watching sports alone, leaving only in the evening to be with friends. There, initially, I watched the end of the World Series' Game Four. My vocal and animated anger and frustration was patiently tolerated by the good friend and not terribly commmitted sports fan in whose home I watched the game. She did express interest in the finer points of a defensive gaffe on the part of the Phillies which would doom them to defeat, but her emotional stake in the outcome was minimal compared to my own.

A bit after the game ended, more friends came along and we greatly enjoyed delicious snacks (largely of a home-made nature) and an equally delectable episode of Showtime's 'Dexter'. A particularly salty turn of phrase employed by one of the characters struck a chord with all present, who committed to making use of it themselves in conversation the following day. Most could not wait, peppering their utterances with it all night whenever it could be justified.

The most recent episode of the same network's program 'Californication' was watched as a sort of nightcap, and was enjoyed nearly as much as the former entertainment. Things broke up thereafter with all concerned tired but in good spirits. For my part, I was up for around another hour before succumbing to sleep as a documentary on Miami's 1980s cocaine trade played.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?