Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tidying Up

As you may have noticed if you've ever laid eyes on this blog's homepage before, there have been some changes. Those who know me and regularly gain entrance to my room are already aware that this is just one aspect of an entire wave of frenetic cleaning and organizing which overtook me at that time. This is a fairly regular, if infrequent, event for me. I just put up with clutter and general disorder until I can't put up with it. It's kind of like what they say about momentum in sports: It's something you have until you don't have it anymore.

From the moment I established the look of my blog as what it was until a few days ago, I realized that a three column layout was not really what I wanted. I made the best of it for a whole year only because I didn't want to go to the trouble of finding one which better served my needs. Many elements of content consequently resulted and grew stagnant. Finally, "I couldn't stands no more!" Just like that, it was all gone, and the dust cleared to reveal a two column layout containing the mere essence of what lay there before.

As I said, this was one part of a grand movement. Physical cleaning in my realm happens only when something is missing. Only if it is underway with unstoppable momentum does it go on past the finding of the thing until the space is entirely clean. So it was this time, and I now inhabit and walk around in my room with utter impunity. There's nothing on the floor but furniture, the refuse has been contained to sealed plastic bags, and dirty dishes have been dispatched to the kitchen sink.

I do believe all this matters for more reason than hygiene and aesthetics. I believe in preparing yourself for being successful. This begins with going through the full shower and grooming routine each morning, then dressing. That is important whether you've got something going on or not, for it has a psychological effect on you. It's much harder to feel confident and driven about finding employment when one is disheveled, unclean and clad in sweatpants and yesterday's t-shirt. It's likewise difficult to be a winner in life when your domicile has the appearance of belonging to the opposite.

So, then: hear me loud and clear, Universe! My home is clean and well-ordered, and I am psychologically ready to do great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?