Friday, July 2, 2010

A Patron Scorned

It's back to the Shakespearean Sonnet. I don't know that the event which inspired this one is necessarily as grand and epic as those which must have moved the Bard, but be assured that the churning emotions I felt were every bit as large as those expressed in any of the master's works. It's the trivial and the passing which arouse my most percussive outbursts, as those who know me will attest.

~
I went to a restaurant after church
I felt quite good and sought something to eat
Did not expect to be left in a lurch
To not be served 'til an hour in my seat

The waitress was quick to bring me my drink
As fast I thought my order she would take
Six times more she came with only a wink
No more than three could have been a mistake

Justice I wanted in my wild fury
"She'll know the sting of a ten percent tip!"
But our group triggered the gratuity
Out on the tab I joked that we should skip

Shall I on this grievance forever dwell?
No, for 'tis the best revenge to live well!
~

Luckily, after about an hour, I responded to the soothing and reasonable words of my friend, as the final couplet implies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?