Friday, October 8, 2010

Nap Time

It often seems to take very little grist to supply the mill this blog is akin to in my mind. I don't just look around me for ideas, or open the dictionary to a random page and stab my finger out at a random word, but my mind does seem to seize on the slightest thing. I wouldn't call it catharsis exactly, but I often know what to write about when I start perseverating on some matter and composing, then delivering a speech in my mind to an imaginary audience. Getting it down and ready to send out through this blog clear my mind of the often very small matter, and I'm free to think of something else. Tragically, that thing is bound to be no more consequential than the last thing. Every once in a long while, it's something big. That's not so this time.

I sometimes take a nap, although it's not a habit. I've been advised that they're not really a help, but fundamental nap theory isn't the reason why I don't often go for it. First of all, I usually feel guilty about sleeping during the hours of the day most conducive to getting things done. Night is the time for sleeping, when things are closed and people are unresponsive to phone calls. I don't say that I'm definitely being productive during what might be nap time, but I prefer to be ready for action. Second among my reasons for disdaining naps is that they must be confined to a short period of time, and I don't rest well with an anxious mind. I could sleep for an hour if I don't have to be up in an hour, but if I do, I either won't sleep or will oversleep.

All objections aside, I do give naps thought. I recently took a late nap, and thought about when the best time for it is. Of course, it depends very much on the individual's schedule. If one works conventional hours, it will either be the lunch hour or sometime a bit after arriving home in the evening. It can be right away if one is unattached or just lives alone, but probably must be something like an hour after getting home if one has a spouse and/or children. A post-work nap could be good if there are no late evening plans, it seems to me. Otherwise, an early evening nap probably is no good. Later in the day is just fraught with difficulties. I see it in terms of the time you fall asleep and the time you wake up. Whatever time you start the nap is going to seem early enough, but then think of when you wake up and what effect that has on the practicality of any subsequent plans. It's like seeing a movie.

Also worth taking account is what impact the nap has on ability to sleep during the night. It's like late-day coffee/stimulant consumption. Have you ever seen how someone is napping on the couch only to be awakened in order to "go to bed"? It may be rather difficult to wake up, go to the bedroom and attempt to go back under. I sometimes can't do it, and it becomes all the harder if you wake up and stay up even for a little bit. That makes naps a risk, although it helps psychologically for me to count nap hours in addition to night sleeping hours so that I can convince myself I've gotten enough rest altogether. I don't know if my sleep math really rings true, but it helps ease my mind, as I said. A mind at ease is essential to the process of slumber no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?