Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Whimsy On The Menu

When I go to a restaurant, it remains for me a special experience wherein I can partake of all the things I can't and won't do for myself. I don't like making a lot of effort. From the preparation to the washing of dishes, every decision is predicated on doing as little work as I can. I'm not known for preparing elaborate dishes, or even often ones that are generally recognized as even being dishes. I don't have all of the accoutrement's which one needs to properly present and eat dishes. I don't have ambience in my home, exactly. I don't have variety. Far from it: as I've noted, my eating habits at home are as predictable as the sunrise. All that is why I like going out to eat.

The main thing that's on my mind is alluded to in today's title. My mind tends to gravitate towards whatever strikes my fancy. Often the name of the menu item is enough for that, but I want to stress that gag names such as one sees at a Denny's are more of a turn-off. That's not to say I won't go there and try things. One late night at Denny's, I got a Grand Slam Burger. It was worth it for sure. For me whims are made by other stuff. There's a diner of some history around here that I and my friends sometimes go to. While there recently, I just recently ordered the Welsh Rarebit something-or-other. Of course it was primarily the name of the thing that entered into the decision-making process. What it actually was fell behind name, history and price. I ordered it and was not dissatisfied. I don't know that I would order it again.

Faring worse one of the last times out was the Boston Egg Creme desert I got, which resembled a kind of sweet, milky seltzer water. I don't regret trying it. I felt some remorse after the fact, but knew it was a risk going it. If I hadn't wanted to take a risk, I would have gotten a shake or something. I've had lots of shakes, and prefer to stick to such things when it appears the only realistic option, because I know how to make a shake. There was also the Taco Burger, which I ordered at a local stand some weeks ago. I could have made that, knowing now what it is, but ordered it largely to find that information out. Do I regret getting it? I guess not, in that it makes for a fun story. Stories are worth almost as much as enjoyment of the thing they come from.

I do sometimes cling to the comfortable. Hamburgers are a good standby, and one can be sure that wherever one is ordered, the cooking staff cannot get it too far wrong. I've learned to be cautious when my whimsy leads me towards something the restaurant offers probably in the expectation that it will not be ordered, and so does not really prepare to make. I've had that experience with poached eggs. I guess even burgers can go wrong- a turkey burger, that is. It's like I said, though: one of the best parts of the restaurant experience is the opportunity for variety- the opportunity to try something different. I don't know that I'm an adventurous soul by nature, but here is a chance for me to throw caution to the wind, draw gasps from my tablemates and really live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?