Friday, December 24, 2010

Alergeeze

When I was a boy, I regularly visited an allergist. The immediate benefits of this which I was able to see then mainly were the glass bottle RC Cola machine, the complimentary Red Vines and the children's periodicals. It was the best waiting room a kid could hope for, really. Less fun then were the shots. I got a lot of shots in hopes of subduing my allergies. For some time, we went to the doctor's office for the shots. Eventually, we were able to do the shots at home. The appeal of that was limited for me, as we did not have any of the things at home that they had there in the waiting room. It was interesting learning by trial and error how to give an injection to someone else as well as to oneself. If you missed the right spot, that arm hurt for a while.

I'm not sure if the multitude of shots eventually helped. I guess they must have. It seems like people have more and more allergies all the time, and always to new things. I once had terrible reactions to bee stings. I might still, although it's been a while since I got stung in spite of my cowardly retreats at the sight of any such creature. I do think I have some allergies outstanding, mostly being of a seasonal nature. Pollen has never liked me. I'm sneezing a lot these days, and what is responsible I'm not sure. It's most unpleasant, and we are going through a lot of paper products here at home as a result of it.

I'm glad for the fact that I suffer no allergies regarding food. I at least am aware of no such afflictions. One hears of allergic reactions to nuts and things even more pervasive. I don't know that I could take it. I recall overhearing someone complain of an allergic reaction to cigarettes, and how this was why they did not smoke. It seemed ridiculous to me. I really can't see how any allergy might take precedence over cancer as a consideration. Evidently the prospect of that was not a concern, but an allergy was. Not being able to say what the nature of that allergy was, I freely admit that the allergy may have been a fatal one, but I don't think that undermines my point. Cancer was not even in the conversation, as if it were not a possibility. People are odd.

I do hope I get over whatever is causing my present symptoms. I really do hate sneezing. It's hard to conduct any kind of prolonged, dignified business when constant deafening, gross interruptions are necessary. It reminds me of a fantastic short science fiction story where in one character's brain constant distractions are hardwired so that he is unable to be too intelligent. Perhaps that's what I'm facing. Someone's perhaps trying to hamstring me for the perceived betterment of society. Well, I don't happen to think that you help the less able by knee-capping the more able, and I will not back down on that. I urge my persecutor to come forward and face me. Be a man (to the extent that such is appropriate for your actual gender)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?