Thursday, January 13, 2011

Zapatas Rojas

I don't like negativity. I fear that in spite of that it comes through in my creative output anyway. Some is appropriate, but as they say, all things are best in moderation. Thus today I choose to write of something that I like. I never used to to think that people paid much attention to shoes, or at least to a man's shoes. When I was a boy, the new school year meant a new pair of basketball sneakers which were deliberately brought to the attention of others, but as an adult I do no such thing. I thought my footwear flew under the radar.

Evidently I was terribly wrong. For the last few years, I had been primarily wearing non-descript white sneakers. They never did draw any notice. By chance, just as my most recent pair was badly breaking down, I came into possession of a used pair of shoes. They were also sneakers, and they were unfortunately not quite my size. Luckily, while they were too long, they were just the right width. Laced tight, they fit like a dream. I'm a practical guy, and considered this good enough to wear them. I didn't imagine that they would be any more than adequate. I was wrong on that.

The salient attribute I have left out until now. The shoes, which I wear every day now, are red. It's a rather vibrant shade. I think this is what catches the eye and precipitates the compliments which solidified their most-favored-pair status. As I may have said before, I am quite susceptible to compliments. I bristle at criticisms, and my moustache has endured in much the same way that Castro did- flourishing in the face of hostility rather than withering. I respond to those compliments though, doubly so when they are given by a lady. Women do seem to like these shoes. My reaction is understandable.

I have not as yet managed to predict response to my fashion choices yet, and so they have been hit and miss. My hair has been met with approbation, but the moustache struggles on for acceptance from women- it won itfrom men long ago, but what is that worth? This year I endeavor to extrapolate the lesson that lies in my successes and failures in this area. What is there to learn from my awesome red shoes? I'll never tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?