Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Accusation And The Crow

I am not sure of why it is that the crow is tied to admitting that you are wrong. In other cases, there is a concrete reason why the name of an animal seeps into popular imagination in conjunction with a particular human concept. It's easy to grasp why someone with keen vision is said to be eagle-eyed, or why someone who reaps benefits by exploiting the fallen might be characterized as a vulture, but why is exuberant bragging also known as crowing? That's really an extraneous question, because the crow gifts us with two such expressions, and it's the second one that interests me. As I said, one must 'eat crow' if they have to confess being in the wrong. I should do so often, but frequently refuse.

The most common case of being wrong that immediately comes to mind is when something is missing. Naturally my first thought is that someone has moved it or stolen it outright. This happens at my parents' house, where professionals are called periodically to clean. On my most recent visit, minutes before I had to leave, a library book which I had to eventually return on getting back to LA was missing. I could not find it where I believe I had left it, and so naturally I pinned the blame on the aforementioned cleaners. I stalked the house in the foulest, darkest mood, muttering awful things and thinking worse. Of course the book turned up in a different place entirely when I remembered having had it in the car.

I freely admitted how wrong I was, and it was easy because I was so very relieved. I could have eaten an actual crow in that moment. How bad could they taste? I'm sure they couldn't actually be dangerous to eat, and I'm aware of no particular social stigma apart from it being something that people don't think of actually eating even in jest. One of these days I really must eat the thing- perhaps there is a place I might visit that would afford me excuse and opportunity. Everything is a delicacy in one place or another.

The crow thing really is a frivolous cop-out, because what this really makes me think is how sad it is that I should instantly become suspicious of those around me with so little provocation. I think that must be human nature. We are decent, charitable and honorable during the good times, but who among us refrains from turning against people when the chips are down, as they say? I know I don't, and it's not pleasant to be faced with such darkness in myself. It's something to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?