Friday, February 11, 2011

Building Excitement

Two buildings on my little neighborhood side street are apparently in the process of being demolished and the lots redeveloped. It's a satisfying experience to me, getting a glimpse of the incremental progress every day, having this singular chance to see into what was and what will be. The first time I cared enough to look at them and really see them, it was obvious enough that they were terrible eyesores and probably health and safety hazards. One building on the street is already known to have been an ad hoc den of ill repute while unoccupied, and while I can't say what could have been going on in these other two, it's reasonable to guess that there was a considerable risk of some inappropriate usage.

There's a wonderful, positive feeling of renewal and agitation. Things are being shaken up, and I am excited at the prospect of something new arising. The last time I looked, one of the two buildings had been totally stripped away and nothing was left but the foundation. That may be boring to some, but I find it rather interesting. I'd like to get a closer look, but am not quite as bold as some in my family where satisfying curiosity is concerned.

I'd like to think that something great is going up, and that's possible, but it's far more likely to be something shiny and bright on the surface but shoddy and primed to rot on the inside. That's what new construction at this level is to me. It's like they're making an ice sculpture and covering it in a thick coat of paint so that they can sell it as a pricey bust. Obviously that's not going to last, and that's my bet for the two new buildings destined to go up. I could be wrong and hope I am.

In the meantime, I watch almost imperceptible advancement with great interest. I feel incensed by the pace of construction at times, but with nothing to be done about spurring things along, I can take the opportunity to work on my patience. It helps that I find myself well able to put it out of my mind except when I walk by. My emotional investment in these new residences is like that which I had in some dogs that lived in a house near where I used to live a couple years ago. I didn't have to feed them or clean up after them- I just got to fawn over them for a few moments every day. It's quite rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?