Sunday, February 13, 2011

On Top Of The World

If the appetite for reports on points of interest in and around my apartment building has not yet been exhausted, allow me to attempt that now. After roughly two months, I finally have spent more than a few moments in the open air barbecue area which stands as my floor's most salient feature. I would call it a rooftop grill if not for the fact that the true roof is a scant few feet above and affords no real intrigue beyond the fleeting novelty of being where you should not.

I decided to avail myself of this area not for grilling but for reading. I had wished for some time to partake of a good book al fresco in my previous longtime home, but found myself substantially thwarted in that. In that dwelling, the cramped fauna-choked central corridor was insufficiently tranquil given the comings and goings of other building residents. The pool area was so small as to place my book in serious jeopardy of being splashed by activity which could hardly be characterized as rowdy.

I found this barbecue area to mostly answer my hopes. It offers plenty of space, and on the weekend afternoon in question was not very busy at all. One fellow resident poked his head in for no apparent reason, and I bid him hello before he ducked out. Another came out to smoke for a bit, and later held a conversation with a lady. Those interruptions aside, the place worked rather well until such a time in the late afternoon when it became too brisk to remain. I blame the high, surrounding walls. Those on three sides are entirely understandable. The one which faces the street is not.

This leads me to a planned digression. The side of the barbecue area which faces the street and which boasts a breathtaking drop of three stories is barricade by not one but two walls. Why is that? The clear general reason is fear, probably of liability but just possibly of the actual harm that might befall the unwary. Is it government authorities which demand this? It's possible- little is left to the discretion of private citizens where such matters are concerned in this state. Is it the owner of the building or the management they have charged to handle things in their stead?

I suppose that makes no difference. I bristle at the clear lack of confidence in my ability to remain on top of the building or to descend from it safely. If someone can't or won't do either, no regulation or well-meaning safety measure will save them. That aside, I do greatly enjoy this amenity and will be sure to take advantage in future, especially as the seasons change and it remains warm longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?