Monday, February 28, 2011

Witness

Yesterday I wrote of something I saw in the park. Today is more of the same, and yet it is more than that. All I meant to do was see what the part had to offer beyond the library I so love. I saw basketball and tennis courts, ball fields and skateboarding facilities- all things I was prepared to see. I saw something else, though- something I never dreamed of seeing for myself. I was nearing the end of the full circuit I had been making around the rather large park, thinking about what I would be doing next that day. It was then that I saw it: a secret training camp!

There were perhaps a half dozen or so young men being put through their paces. A slightly older man exhorted them, and they were only too eager to go through with his bidding. Each of his pupils bore a cardboard sign roughly in the shape of an arrow. Each sign was emblazoned with vivid colors and writing which I could not make out, and the young men spun them and tossed them with fervent zeal. I was beside myself as I strolled through the stretch of my own endeavor.

I hoped against hope that they would not spy me watching them, and indeed their activity seemed to consume their whole focus. I was apparently safe from reprisals, and I quickened my pace so that I might not test them any further. While I remained within sight and earshot though, I tried to observe details so that I might be of as much help as possible if I should prove to be compelled to aid my government in bringing these men to justice.

Could it be that this group and its actions in the park are not as nefarious as I believe when I saw them> Might they in fact be engaged in some innocuous business which would be of no real consequence should I fully ferret it out? I sincerely hope so, but I have lived too long and seen too much to have any real expectation of that. There are good people doing honest, noble work, but they are far too few in number. Just be warned- there are enemies of the state among us, and when they are ready to carry out whatever plot those arrow-shaped cardboard signs are a clue leading towards, we shall all surely be very sorry. Let's hope we can head them off before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?