Sunday, March 27, 2011

No Quarter Given

There are many things that are hard, awkward, weird or uncomfortable for me alone in this world. I'll avoid making a phone call at all costs. I sent someone a letter in the mail because I was uncomfortable calling. It's very fashionable now to text and not call, but I was there before there was a viable alternative. That's just one of many things that are a bewildering, exhausting ordeal in my mind. I don't recommend it as a way of life.

I find that there are two things which I now use far more than I ever have, and so steps must be taking to acquire them in unprecedented numbers. One is checks, and that was dealt with by getting a massive checkbook with register. The other is quarters, and I wish sincerely that I could resolve that matter for nearly as long. The main thing is that I need quarters for laundry, but of course they are also an essential thing for parking in this city (That just doesn't happen to concern me).

How does one come by them? Dealing in cash most of the time helps, as you'll get a couple of quarters back with every transaction. Regrettably, that is just not enough to account for the frequency with which I do my laundry. It takes more, and that brings me to the thing that is so unpleasant for me. What I do is to go to my bank and ask them to make change. It's a very reasonable thing, and I'm sure not at all out of the ordinary. People must ask that all the time, every day. Why do I feel so weird about it? They don't act like it's weird, with one notable exception that sticks out in my mind (as I recall, there was a reluctance to make change for a possible non-account holder).

The solution is really quite simple, and I'm sure that if anyone other than me were actually experiencing the problem, they would do it. You just have to put out a change machine. There could be one with the laundry machines (and I know that some places do that), or there come be one at the bank. If anyone's asking for quarters, much valuable time could be spared on the part of those skilled tellers if a machine were taking care of the most menial, least difficult transactions. They don't install such a machine however, and that is what tells me that I am weird for being uncomfortable with the present arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?