Saturday, March 26, 2011

Turnaround

In such extraordinary times, one sees extraordinary things. When you consider that most people will do what is necessary, and sometimes incredible things are necessary, then you can react very calmly, as I generally do. When you act like everything's no big deal, peoples' estimation of you tends to rise considerably. So it must have been that I was quite impressive when I reacted with nothing more than an arched eyebrow to what I saw a number of days ago on the street in North Hollywood.

Now, I've commented on derring-do in the course of crossing the street before. Nowhere is there anyone more brave bordering on foolhardy than those souls who can't spare the time or the effort to reach a crosswalk in order to reach the other side of the street. What of those who do the right thing and use the crosswalk? Surprisingly enough, they sometimes find a way to introduce that spice of life danger into the equation, as I saw. It really was a sight to see, and I shall do my best to do it justice so that you know I'm not deliberately blowing something out of proportion just to make a worthwhile post.

Here's what happened. There was this couple crossing the street. They went to the crosswalk and waited for the light. It was all as proper as it was boring, and I thought very little of it at all. They passed through my field of vision and as far as I was concerned they had at that point left my life forever. How wrong I was, as what happened next will prove out. A few moments after I lost sight of them while intently watching for my bus, right back into my field of vision did they enter. Just a foot or two shy of the opposite side, they decided they didn't want to be there after all, and could not wait for the light to grant them passage back.

It just about took my breath away, I'll say that plainly. You're really taking your life in your hands crossing at the intersection with the light just once. Then to push your luck by going for double? There's just so much luck in the world. I'd be quite enamored with the courage of these two people if it weren't for how much they turned me off with their disdain of the side of the street I was on. I mean, where did they get off? What was wrong with it- with me? They'll get what's coming to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?