Monday, April 11, 2011

"On The Day Of My Daughter's Wedding"

So there we were, thrown terribly off-kilter by the sudden loss of our hotel rooms (so sudden a loss that the only retaliation I could manage was theft of pens). What could we do but carry on? After all, we had a wedding to attend. With some small difficulty, we located the place, which was the chapel in what I gather is a Catholic school. I remarked to someone (and then to myself numerous times after they showed no interest) that it was a lovely campus replete with green space. Actually, the real feat would be to have any place in Florid stripped of flora.

It seems to me that the wedding started a little late, but not so much so as to cause alarm. We entered at last, received hymnals and programs, and took our seats. Dad occupied himself by critiquing the chapel's construction and I by worrying over the task assigned to me by the father of my cousin the groom. There could be nothing simpler than bringing out a chair and then retrieving it, but I saw in my mind's eye a thousand ways for me to slip up and memorably ruin the event. Luckily they did not come to pass.

The entire wedding ran smoothly. The bride wore a lovely gown which I understand to have been of some antiquity, and the groom wore a remarkable suit with tails. His groomsmen wore a fine ensemble with vests, and if I am any judge the bridesmaids were blessed with dresses that could possibly have future utility. It was a fairly strict Catholic wedding mass as I understand them. Some aspects of that faith rankle me, but I take great comfort in adhering to certain traditions where weddings and such are concerned. There were no unwelcome departures in this affair.

It would be fair to say that I enjoyed the service, and thought little of the critical tournament game being played simultaneously by the University of Florida men's basketball team. That all the festivities held the attention of everyone concerned really goes without saying, but given that almost everyone in attendance had an interest in one of two or three teams still alive in the tournament, there were understandably numerous jokes about engaging in subterfuge to stay abreast of the scores. Those were to continue as we headed off to the reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?