Monday, April 25, 2011

Pay Your Way

There are many things I don't like, and at least as many sorts of people. It's all too easy to run afoul of one or another of my bugaboos, and I hardly expect that people work first and foremost on staying good with me as opposed to the many other worthy objectives that can lead to prosperity and happiness in this world. I can hardly argue that my good will can take you very far towards that at all unless my happiness and your happiness and you don't regard money as being integral to prosperity. I feel as I feel about people anyway.

One type I don't care for at all is the silent type. You'd think that given how much I talk and how loudly I do it that I would be grateful for someone who just plain punts in a conversation and lets me go to town. I don't like that. I hear myself talk all day and night every day- out loud I mean, and with people around or not. I know what I'm thinking, so there's no value in just saying it to someone's face. I want to hear what they have to say as well- that's the great virtue in having friends and not cats or plants.

Unfortunately, far too many people are shy or have some other condition prohibiting themselves from making contributions. Could they be intimidated by my confidence, enthusiasm and loud, booming voice? I would be mildly flattered to thinks so, but that's not what I want. I want a response- I want for the person with whom I'm conversing (or in whose presence I am conversing) to offer their feedback at minimum, but preferably to add their own thing, because I believe in receiving outside data (or, as Johnny 5 called it, 'input!').

In light of all the above, I call on the meek, the shy and the otherwise quiet to end the stranglehold on their thoughts. Whether you regard them as unworthy or prone to cause offense, I implore you to allow me to make that judgment. I cannot promise that I will rule in your favor, but I will think more of you in any case and will no longer fear the worst about your unvoiced opinions of me personally. Now, should you at any time genuinely have nothing to say, I would not have you say something inane anyway, but the people with whom I choose to associate seldom suffer from the affliction of having no reasoned thoughts or opinions. Therefore, fire away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?