Saturday, May 28, 2011

Drop It And Run

I'm a man of habits. Some things become habitual as a means of ensuring that they get done, and other things have a reasoning behind them that is far more nebulous. I just slip into autopilot, and I'm in the middle of something before I realize that it's started. On the whole, it's a positive thing, and nowhere is this more so than during my morning routine. A small part of it is the making of my coffee. I clean the carafe, fill it up to four cups, empty that into the machine, then scoop in a corresponding amount of the grinds. A few minutes later, I pour a cup and spoon in the creamer and sugar.

That last part is deceptively involved. I have a way of doing things that may not have any logical basis. I use three spoons for the cream and sugar. I use two plastic spoons to deposit the cream and sugar in. I fear stirring the hot coffee with plastic, lest chemicals leach into the beverage and make it more lethal than it already is according to my formulation. That being the case, I employ a third spoon of metal merely for the stirring.

There's this little satisfying feeling after I am done with each of these implements. I deposit the powder where it needs to go, and then I drop it into the sink. Doing so has some rather nefarious associations in my mind. It's something like a hired gun dispatching his target and handily disposing of the killing weapon in the river. Less disturbingly, I'm also reminded of that comedic practice of angrily venting into a microphone and then dropping it on the stage before stalking off.

Probably there are some insights into my psyche which might be made by closely reading this post. Really this whole blog is a likely triumph for Freud's conception of psychoanalysis. I always was affected by the way his sessions with patients were described to me. He would just sit there as his patient babbled on, seldom if ever saying a word. He would just make notes of what they said and create his analysis from it alone without adding any of his own influence. Maybe he would have a lot to say about this coffee thing. Then again, he might say that sometimes making coffee is just making coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?