Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Shall I Wear Thee Nevermore?

Yesterday I wrote of walking through vegetation while misguidedly trying to follow the route laid out for me by an ignorant navigational program. That naturally made me think of an all too common tragedy. As slowly and difficultly as I accrue clothes, each item, particularly pants and items of a more dressy nature are precious. When one is fatally damaged, it's cause for significant anguish. Now, the commonality of this is only exacerbated by my ineptitude in doing laundry.

Take the pair of pants I was wearing the day I went to that concert. They were then my nicest pair of pants outside of those that are part of a suit. I wore them because I wanted to look very nice for the occasion, and didn't imagine I would be doing more with them than maybe sitting on a picnic blanket before the concert. I was certainly not prepared for the thistles and brambles and whatever else lined that road. They did a real number on my beloved pants. It's my hope that I can get the stains from those plants out, but knowing me the chances are less than average.

In this period of uncertainty I try to make my peace with the possibility of losing those pants. At first I'm unreasonably distraught. I gradually grow calm and realize that as much as I like those pants, I was never going to have them forever and will largely forget them when I am wearing other, new pairs of pants about which I will be very excited. It's something like the stages of grief, or rather the modified form they take when you know you may soon be suffering a loss.

I do still hope to hang on to those pants. They're just too nice to go too soon. They're this nice tan/cream color and have pinstripes running down them. Maybe they don't go with everything like the black pair of slacks I had, but then I don't go with everything myself, so perhaps we're meant to be together. I shall certainly mourn in the event that neither I doing the laundry myself nor the dry cleaners are able to restore them to their formerly pristine condition, but I will certainly shoulder the responsibility of putting them down. It's my duty as a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?