Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Talks

I was recently witness to as serious and hard-fought a negotiation as I can remember. There I was in the video section of the local library, trying to pick out a few. It being a few minutes before closing, a number of people were trying to pore over the same shelves as I, and I could not help but overhear a conversation which intrigued me to no end. It was between a little boy of perhaps seven or eight and his mother, and the two of them were the immovable object and unstoppable force of legend.

The first thing I heard was a trial balloon floated by the boy: could he have this movie? I regret that I cannot name the film he wanted, as it would have been unseemly to display open interest. I can say that the maternal reply was in the negative. Shrewdly hoping to head off further inquiry, she offered the rationale that the film was too violent and generally too adult for the boy. One might think that this would be the end of it, but that would be to underestimate the fortitude of this child.

After giving his opponent's statement thought, the boy replied with a seemingly fair compromise: could he have and watch the movie with the proviso that the portions deemed objectionable be fast-forwarded through? He likewise must have imagined that meeting his mother halfway would make short work of the imbroglio, but his hopes were dashed when his mother rejected his proposal out of hand. I certainly felt for him.

Regrettably, the tone of discourse was henceforth poisoned, and things descended into bitterness and counterproductive attacks rapidly. The defeated boy expressed the belief that his mother hated his life. She warned him not to start and advised him that all he needed to do was say "Ok, Mom." From my vantage point, no such rapprochement appeared likely in the foreseeable future. Clearly the mother held all the cards, but just as soon as the boy manages to acquire some leverage, I have no doubt that he will attempt to parlay it into a reopening of negotiations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?