Sunday, May 1, 2011

Two For Fun

There are the things I struggle with that everyone does, and these things make me relatable. I can make some remark about traffic or bargain shopping, and in this way people can identify with me. Not so with the many other things I must deal with but that no one else has a problem with. One is a particular kind of promotion for live comedy shows I go to. With a coupon, one can get two tickets for the price of one. This really is a good deal, but it has the downside of requiring two people.

As I said, almost no one would have a real issue with this. Maybe it's not any easier for them to round up a second, but I doubt they worry. I worry. I don't just feel the responsibility of coming up with someone for myself, but for everyone I know is going. It just snowballs. First I'm looking for someone to go with me. All I need is one person to fill out my two for one. Do I learn of just one person? No, I find out about two people who each need a second person as I do. One pairs up with me, but now I feel compelled to locate someone for this second person.

I say I feel compelled because there's no actual requirement imposed on me for such a thing. I only know that I feel the same anxiety and lessened enjoyment that I would if it were still me in a quandary and not this other person who has failed to plan for the occasion. They may not worry, but it's obviously not because they have a handle on the situation. I wonder if one can have both things. I know I would like to, and if that cannot be, then I would just as soon not be offered such a white elephant of a discount on tickets.

Sadly, my feelings hold sway over my actions significantly less than do my finances, and in any case the repugnant two-for-one deal remains an ever-present thorn in my side. I will cope with it until such time as it either goes away or becomes entirely needless to to the certain elevation of my star into the stratosphere. I will laugh at the heavy hearts of those so far beneath me that the scurry about like ants in such of a person to share their two-for-one coupon for a five dollar show. I will laugh, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?