Sunday, July 3, 2011

Caveat Et Al

I described yesterday the revelatory experience of hard-boiling a dozen eggs. The tale is of course not done there. I doubt whether it will ever really end. Those eggs have so much to teach that it shall surely take a lifetime and then some to unlock all its mysteries. The first which I stumbled upon is the devastating trauma that can be inflicted on the unwitting digestive system by the unassuming hard-boiled egg. I'm sure that I need not go into further detail.

The more pleasant succeeding mystery lays in the shucking of the egg, or perhaps the peeling is a more accurate way of phrasing it. This in itself is clearly a riddle wrapped in an enigma, but I shall save it for another day for fear of failing to describe the difficulty in most efficiently and quickly extracting the egg from its shell with a minimum of damage. Each time I feel that I improve on my previous attempts, and I'm certain that I will soon enough manage to get it adequately right each time. Even then though, there is always room to improve on a personal best.

Another way in which I may be able to enhance the experience lay in a traditional Easter activity. We would boil them, paint them, hide them and find them, but the most enduring aspect in my mind was the deviling. I'm here to tell you that deviled eggs are one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten, and moreover their greater expense is well offset by the added value which effectively makes half an egg into the nutritional equivalent of a whole one. That's not to be underrated.

Regrettably, I am already out of eggs. It may be so that two days is awfully soon to expend my supply of a dozen eggs. I will try to conserve them with great diligence, but I can't be sure of keeping irrational exuberance from overriding my best intentions. The stakes are not too high, given the relatively low cost of eggs. A high rate of consumption also may be injurious to my health, but there is one thing trumping both expense and well-being, and that is supporting the small-time dairy farmer. Truly they are the backbone of this great land.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?