Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Snack Bad

There are a number of informal or semiformal, quasi-social gatherings that I am party to these days, and such things depend on refreshments to grease the wheels.They say that an army marches on its stomach, and it's no less true for these other things. They boost morale and grant people the license, at least in their own mind, to interact with others. Well, someone has to pick them out, pay for them and bring them. It is a more thankless task than it might seem, and success is hardly assured.

When it falls upon me, the people are perhaps more likely than usual to be disappointed. This is for two reasons, the first of which is that I am exceedingly cheap when it comes to such things. I am loathe to spend any more more than I have to to produce an acceptable grade and amount of snack material. For this reason, people refreshing themselves on my dime must be content with store brand snacks, and second-rate stores at best.

The second reason behind the poor receptions to my snacks must surely be my overpowering sense of whimsy. I will pick things for any number of reasons apart from what actually looks good. If my fancy is struck by some unusual flavor of chips or some food I wouldn't expect to find in a dollar store, I will get that, and everyone will suffer the consequences. The second priority after spending as little as possible is to entertain myself with the selections.

Obviously then, I can see the reasons why people often pass up my snacks, but that is not to say that I do not feel hurt in some small measure. It's a trifle of the very most insignificant kind, and yet I manage to elevate it into a personal affront and a severe offense. It reminds me of some saying which may be traced to the French. It advises that one should treat the serious lightly, and the light seriously. I suppose one must consider where that has gotten the French- at the risk of treading on the toes of family- but it is what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?