Monday, July 18, 2011

Jarring!

I've always been different, and in adult life have been glad for it. I do my utmost to be distinct and unique, because I believe that in this lies some of my greatest value. I often go my own way even when the commonly done thing is the more sensible. In short, that I should ever adopt the practice of a friend in any matter is pretty remarkable, and yet that is just what I have done. I appreciate that it lessens the rarity of personality that I cherish, but it was worth it.

For some time I have had one mug which I always used for coffee, and an irregular set of cups for other beverages. The assorted cups I liked because they were mainly gifts, some of which trumpet my fondness of the Arizona Cardinals. I stick with them because they were gifts, and I just love that mug, so it says something that I now have switched to something which is not my own idea, or for that matter that I have violated my disinclination to switch anything ever.

I'm using jars. I saved a number of pasta sauce jars, soaked them in soapy water to remove the labels and glue (after a failed attempt using rubbing alcohol), and now use them for drinking. Other people probably would use them for things like preserved fruits and such, but not a good friend and neighbor of mind. I liked it so much after trying it at his place that I swear by them now. They're durable, versatile and novel. Those are three qualities which I think are great.

They aren't without their downside. Putting one's lips over the threads meant to accommodate the lid takes some getting used to, and you have to remember that they can't be filled to capacity with coffee or else they cannot be held comfortably. On the plus side though, any beverage comprised of ingredients which must be mixed now requires no spoon, as said ingredients can just be poured in and shaken up after the lid is screwed on. All in all, I'm very happy with my drinking jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?