Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tough As Nails (My Talent Pales)

There is something which has been on my mind for some time, and isn't it fortunate that the idea matured just when I was desperate for something to write about? Now, I had been part of a comedy sketch for church, and it so happened that we were preceded in the program by a dance number. We had little to do with them, but were around them quite a bit as each of our contingents did their own thing. Happily, circumstances permitted us some downtime, but the same cannot be said for the dancers. So it was that I was at liberty to admire the incredible form and work ethic they displayed.

I have my fine qualities, I am prepared to admit. I am fairly knowledgeable, think quickly and have come to decide that I have tolerable looks. I am at peace with the near certainty that I will never make a living on the strength of my body, and am in awe of such persons as these dancers. Watching them prepare in advance of the show, I was as impressed as can be merely by their preliminary stretching and limbering up. I couldn't help but notice the dramatic toll that dancing takes on the body, as they had bandages and wear in such abundance as one would expect of premier athletes.

We were dedicated to what we were doing, but I don't think any of us would deny that they worked harder. I think it gets to where you need that release of energy, so much of it is there built up by that state of readiness. You'll see on the street that the serious runners continue to stay active while waiting for the light to change. Others will take a breather then. It was like that with these dancers, who were as serious as soldiers about their vocation.

There was an unanticipated delay preceding their program. Such things happen, and you can only hope they don't happen for you. Some of the dancers remained offstage and could continue warming up, but others were already in position on stages, and could do nothing but wait. They resembled nothing so much as caged tigers, and that's no exaggeration. I think the world of them, as I do of anyone who works at pressing against the limitations of the body and the mind. I have only the hope of contributing in the latter arena, but heartily cheer on those who do the former or, God help me, both!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?