Sunday, August 14, 2011

Come Clean

As I write this, the United States is in economic turmoil of great severity (though God willing it's pulled out of it in the few days it took for this to be published). A deal was made a few days ago to lower the budget deficit and raise the debt ceiling. Much of the deal revolved around cuts to the budget, though consideration was given to the other possibility. Now, I know what I call that other possibility, but I wondered if I were just plain crazy, because throughout the debate no one uttered the word taxes.

Instead what was said over and over by everyone as the counterbalance to budget cuts was increasing revenue, or just 'revenue'. I know what that means to me. It's a general term for all means of income to the nation. Were these people suggesting that we close the budget gap with ATF auctions or a renewed campaign to sell stamps? That would fall under the category of 'revenue', as would selling lemonade and holding bikini carwashes. Alas, I gather they meant no such thing.

They were referring to the profoundly unpalatable and unpopular idea of raising taxes. It may or may not be a very good idea. I just skated through high school economics, and today can do no better than explain opportunity cost as well as the concept of guns and butter. Taxes might be the way out of this or they might not. The only way to figure it out for sure is to stop fearing them as the wizards of Harry Potter do Lord Voldemort.

They of course hope that people will be receptive to taxes if a pleasant enough euphemism is found to describe them. A similar campaign to endear liberals to the general public continues on with possibilities like 'progressives' remaining on the table. I'll say that I liked the idea of taxes better when it was expressed openly and honestly with respect for my intelligence. Calling it 'revenue' is insulting enough that I might back something against my own self-interest so long as it is good enough to be up front with how it hurts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?