Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fluctu-Weight

I am in the habit of weighing myself. I can't say that I have much reason for doing so. I make no deliberate effort to work out (although physical exertion of a practical nature means that just by going about my business some exercise happens). Thus is removed from any possibility of affecting my weight one of what I figure to be three possible factors. Still, the other two mean that my weight does fluctuate somewhat.

One of the two remaining things is water weight, which is a surprisingly substantial proportion of the whole. I'm told that it does wax and wane quite a a bit, noticeably shifting one's weight up or down in just hours. This has led to some rather surprised outbursts from me, albeit ones that have gone unremarked upon by friends who are perhaps increasingly aware of my idiosyncrasies in this area.I just chalk up any unexplained loss or gain to this water thing.

When there's an explanation, it always relates to my diet. There are stretches where I eat relatively little because of poor appetite, a busy schedule or a tight budget, and some weight loss can be ascribed to this. Balancing this out are explosive incidences of binge eating which usually coincide with the availability of free food, and my weight understandably spikes at such times. I suppose it's nothing to worry about. I just find it interesting.

It's kind of a hobby that has little to do with my health. It's something like observing the progress of a neighboring building under construction. I bring it up as something like water cooler talk in the absence of anything interesting on television to talk about. The one time it gets more serious or urgent than that is anytime my weight dips at a time which I regard as one of plenty in the cupboard. That's when irrational fears of illness abound. Otherwise, tracking my weight is kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?