Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Good Ones

Another rather unusual incident occurred when my friends and I were on the subway the other night for that drive-in movie excursion. I attribute both to the fact that each of us were vouched for as safe to talk to by the presence of the rest of us. Being in a group, none of us could be a threat to others if we weren't a threat to each other. This at least is a rudimentary theory I concocted in the moment, so we'll see how it holds up.

Anyway, let me get to that incident. There was this couple on what I believe was the return train. They had gone all out with some manner of gothic, emo-type ensemble. Clothes, hair and makeup, they had it all. We might well have felt threatened by them. I was just sitting down when I heard myself getting harangued for having a mirror and not owning up to it. It's true that I carry a small mirror in my wallet for purposes of trying to improve myself as a performer as well as of sheer narcissism.

In any case, I came to realize that the gothic couple had inquired of us whether anyone had a mirror. I can only guess that they expected one to come from one of the girls. Women are probably more likely to keep mirrors in purses than men in wallets. It was me who had one, however, and I was glad to loan it to them. My initial thought was that they were checking their hair and makeup, and this was borne out. For a moment though, I feared that they wanted the mirror so that they might do some lines of cocaine.

Happily, that wasn't the case. It was a rather neat experience, and I'm glad that it came to pass that I had  couple of pleasant experiences on the train. I was feeling rather down about the whole thing, owing to some criminal acts that had transpired in recent days. If you bear with life though, you will find that if the good doesn't outweigh the bad, it at least amounts to enough that it's worth going on with something. Here finally was the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?