Saturday, August 13, 2011

Not Interested, Jet-Setter

I haven't traveled much. I've been to a few places around the United States, but not terribly many. I've been to one place outside the United States, and it was near enough to my hometown that it had our newspaper the same time we did. It's fair to say then that I am envious of those who have traveled more, homebody though I am. As traumatic as it is to pack up and go anywhere even for a short trip, I'd love to see more of the world.

I hope though that if I manage to do that I will behave better about it than some. I can appreciate why someone would run their mouth about traveling a lot. It can be a lot of fun, and even when it's not it can be quite an accomplishment. I probably would be eager to talk about my travels if I were some kind of globe-trotting adventurer. I would be eager to do so because of how much the travel would mean to me. It would be a big deal. This should be the case for those who bring up their many trips.

Strangely, many of those who talk the most about their travel seem to ascribe to it the least significance. Heading down to Chile or over to England seems the same to them as going downtown or over to the next county. I know one or two current or former flight attendants, but that sure doesn't account for all of these people. You'd think that if seeing the world was of such little consequence to them that they would keep it to themselves. That should be the case for those who don't care.

I do hope that I will manage to use proper etiquette if I ever do manage to indulge my aspirations of getting a few stamps in my passport. The nice thing to do is to keep a diary, put stickers on a trunk and to not make something of it all unless someone else does first. That's how Indiana Jones handled it. He played it cool, and he happens to be a rather popular and well-respected fictional character. I will never be a fictional character, but I do hope to someday be rather popular and well-respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?