Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pal's Revered Midnight Ride

Some time ago, I wrote about how long it had been since I had really gone swimming (this being on the occasion of finally taking advantage of the pool in the apartment complex I then called home. I would move out shortly thereafter, ultimately to a building which has no pool). It was quite an experience, but at least I had gone into the water on occasion during this break from real swimming. The other day, I did something which I had not even come close to in years and years. I still can't recall when would have been the last time.

I went riding a bicycle. Now I want to stress one point above all else. You know what they say about riding a bike? I will not say it, and I implore anyone reading this to not say it either. It would just enrage me to hear that cliche. In any case, it's true enough. I was somewhat apprehensive about getting into it at the drop of a hat. A friend invited me out with the proviso that he would be riding his bike and that I would have to ride his other bike in the absence of other reasonable transportation of my own.

I was not too mollified by the condition of his other bicycle. It was a little old, and the seat creaked like a bed from the city dump. Worse, one of the tires was not holding air especially well. Still, I persevered. Boy, was it worth it. It was positively exhilarating to ride through the largely quiet and still streets of my neighborhood during the dark of the midnight hour. The cool air played havoc with my long, curly hair, and we playfully greeted somewhat unreceptive people still on the streets as we whizzed by. It was a whole  lot of fun.

I resolved that I would have to more urgently pursue the acquisition of a bicycle. I've been saying how I would like to get one, but with little commitment behind the desire. Well, that night ride stirred me, and the old hitches of cost and the reliability of a used bike cannot any longer stay me from procuring the aforementioned magical machine. By hook or by crook, I will have one sooner rather than later. If you see a good one at a reasonable price, snag it for me, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?