Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Selling Out

As I've said, one of my most fertile sources of material is anger. While nothing gets me writing quicker, it also kills many possible posts because I am unable to render vitriol of a certain severity palatable. I'm hoping that this won't be one of those. The thing is that I read about a particular lawsuit which would have been unremarkable except for those who were filing it. It was none other than the Hell's Angels, and I just got awfully upset.

I have only read one of Hunter S. Thompson's books, and of course it was the one which chronicles the Hell's Angels. It may not have been entirely factual, but I enjoyed it a great deal, and to me it relates the proper nature of a motorcycle gang. The Hell's Angels in that book initiated new members by dowsing them in urine and were constantly a hairsbreadth away from inflicting fatalities in wild, reckless brawls. In short, they were rough around the edges.

Regretfully, I gather that they have sold out in as spectacular a manner as is possible. The gang I read of didn't have lawyers on retainer, didn't file trademark applications and didn't license merchandise. Are we better off with less crime on the streets and highways? I'm sure we are. Are we better off every time someone compromises their integrity for material gain? Not even if doing so actually reduces crime. We are stronger when everyone stays true to their beliefs.

I call on the Hell's Angels to renounce all lawful means of obtaining justice and exacting retribution. They as much as anyone must be able to see that America was at her best when they were out of control at rock concerts, not when they were living the fat life and hiding behind attorneys in a court of law. Sure, the course of action I recommend jeopardizes probably millions of dollars in revenue, but Sonny Barger probably would rather the gang go down in a phenomenal blaze of glory instead of live to wear suits and issue press releases. What sellouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?