Sunday, August 21, 2011

That's Fair

There is a fair going on in my neighborhood's park as I write this. I had in my mind the notion that I would like to visit it, but without outside intervention of the kind that I have previously described, I probably would have let the fair come and go without experiencing it. Luckily, friends had in mind a plan to check it out and were good enough to enlist me in the scheme. I can contentedly say now that I went and saw what it had to offer.

I didn't do a whole lot there. I went and looked at the rides, but did not ride them. I suppose that I did participate in one game, even if it was one meant more to promote an insurance company than to entertain the multitudes. Given seven tries to sink a ping pong ball into any of several cups, I finally won a small flashlight keychain. I would not exactly call that the highlight of the evening though, as I had to tolerate an insurance agent attempting to offer me a quote on insurance for a car that I do not have.

The thing that I did do was to try a bit of classic fair food. A friend went for a corn dog, which was selling for three dollars apiece. I saw what I figured to be a better deal, albeit one which was slightly less conventional fair. It was a fried burrito, which sold for a dollar less each, and which I was advised would take several minutes to cook. I rather imagine that they ought to have left it in there for a few minutes more, as it had a cold spot in the middle which I would now not tolerate even from a gas station.

I will say also that the burrito might have been a good deal large. I would have passed it up had it been for sale at the grocery store. I just went for it because it was associated with the fair. I never did really avail myself of fair food. I was chastised on this occasion for never having had funnel cake. Perhaps I now could really get my fill of such things, although I must admit that I am fast approaching the age at which there is little justification.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?