Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dunnit

As I continue to write for this blog, it becomes harder and harder to be sure that I'm writing something that I haven't written before- that I'm covering a subject that is still unexplored within these confines. I have read of the Beatles that they could dream of something or think of something for a song, and wonder if they had really come up with it or whether it was lodged in their mind after hearing it from someone else. They would then do their due diligence before using it. I had to do that before writing about my jars.

I was sure that I had written about them, and preliminary searches suggested that I had not. Still I thought that I had, and I couldn't believe that I would have left the idea alone at a time when I am just desperate for ideas good enough to write about. The jars idea was just dynamite, so I thought to myself that I surely would have pounced on it long ago. Still, I was not finding anything about it, and it would seem that running a search for "jars" would have found a post about jars, Still, there was nothing.

I started to write the post I had in mind, getting as far as the above lead paragraph. Still something nagged at me. I had searched my blog using the engine available to everyone on my blog's front page. This time, I would try using the one provided for my private use. Luckily, I did not get very far into the second paragraph before I looked at the results of this second search, for it turned up exactly the post that I thought I hadn't written but feared that I had.

I was devastated, of course. As I write this it is very late in the evening and very close to my deadline. In short, it's late in the game to be scrapping what I had and racking my brain for something new and tolerably interesting. I looked with sorrow over what I had, but I noticed something. The bulk of what I had already did not concern the jars. Rather it was concerned with the increasingly onerous process of ensuring originality. Here was something that I had not written, I thought.

I was wrong again. I realized though that I was through four paragraphs already, and pragmatically decided that while I had written about remembering whether I had written posts, I had as yet no visceral, true event-based account of having actually written something only to find that it was on an already-mined topic. This is that post, and I will in future not be able to do that. Perhaps though I will forget that I wrote a post about forgetting that I wrote something already, and I will then be able to write about that. We'll just see, but that could be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?