Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nice Food If You Can Get It


I have written in the past about the pre-made deli sandwiches and how I enjoyed them. I may have also written of the break I made with those sandwiches, the cause of which was their unceremonious reduction in volume from seventeen ounces to fifteen, though I can't recall. Naturally, having removed those from consideration when I'm looking for a cost-ineffective, ready-made food, I had to locate something else that would serve.

After a fashion, I thought I had found something that would work. In a corner of the grocery store that I had not explored much, I found that they had some rather large burritos. Selling for 2.99 each, they amounted to fourteen ounces. I reasoned that the one ounce shortfall between it and the sandwich was more than accounted for by the one dollar differential, and I decided to take the plunge. I was not disappointed.

Now, it's true that they require heating. They are pre-cooked, but I'm not about to eat a cold burrito. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for getting the oven going and waiting for some time, but when I am the burrito rewards my patience amply. No matter what I believe my appetite to be, the burrito satisfies it and then a little more. I always find it necessary to eat it with a knife and fork because it's too heavy to be held as would be a Taco Bell offering. That's good.

Of course there's a hitch. For some reason, the store is less than diligent in ensuring that some items are always available. There's always roasted chicken, fried chicken and such, but as often as not these burritos (as well as their hot dogs) are unavailable. Maddeningly, when they are there there are dozens of them. How do you account for that? I can't. Surely they could have a moderate amount every day. Maybe they know what they're doing, but I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?