Saturday, September 24, 2011

Zzz

As I believe I've written in the past, sleep in general is difficult. If I'm repeating myself, then it's because such a terrible scourge warrants it, I'm sure you'll agree. Dealing with the looming specter of an early morning's rise is something I do poorly. I expect little sympathy considering that I always tell people in that position that "you don't have to get up early if you don't go to bed". True though that might be, it is  of no more comfort to me than it has been to any of the people I have imposed it on in the past.

It is not a pleasant thing to get up early. The thing is that I can't get myself to sleep too quickly. No matter what time I may get back from nighttime activities, I always wind up spending another hour or so up, even if I feel myself fading away on the trip home. What is one to do about an unwanted second wind? How do you call it off and send it away? Sometimes it's better when I've just been at home for the evening, but this is not the case terribly often.

Routine is the key, really. I have conditioned myself to get up at a certain time generally speaking, and trying to force matters before that is awfully difficult no matter what. I can manage it, though that day is quite a trial given what little sleep I am going through it with. It just comes back to the night before. If I were to sleep with the discipline of others I know, it would be a breeze. I bet that I could do it if it weren't for the fact that all the fun things happen in the late evening.

As I write this, I am staring at a terribly early morning. I ought to be in bed already, but I am compelled as always to deliver for this blog. Even if I had written earlier as intended, there would have been something else. I would have wanted to read, to watch tv, to play with my phone. It's a peculiar relationship I have with sleep. Perhaps we all do, but I'll only speak for myself. I stave sleep off as long as I can, but I draw sleep out as long as possible as well. I've heard of similar attitudes regarding battle on the front lines of war. The struggle to sleep is like a war against oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?