Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hark! It's A Farmer's Market!

Farming is in my heritage, I guess it's fair to say. I should take more care to support the small farming concerns of this country than I do. For such selfish reasons as personal budget and expedience, I don't do that. It takes effort to do things right with food, and it takes more money. I may be lacking in the latter, but I ought to be able to expend the effort and the time. Making things tough has been the absence of a nearby farmers' market- or is it farmer's, as I tried in the title? You see my ignorance.

A couple of years ago or more, when I lived elsewhere in town, there was a farmer's market very near to my home. I about had to walk through it to get home, so I would peruse it and sometimes buy things. I found the sweet corn to be cheap and tasty. I think I may have bought some other items as well, but fewer than I might have. I didn't take full advantage of it, and then it was lost to me when I moved. That's often the way for me.

Just the other day though, a market has opened up in my present neighborhood. I gather it will operate on a weekly basis, which is fantastic. I was there for their opening day, and the fact that free tote bags were being doled out was unknown to me, so it could not have been a motivation. I was there in fact to spend time with friends. I also found plenty to like in their offerings. Not only was there produce, but there was hot prepared food of various stripes in addition to such other items as artwork. It was a one-stop shop of sorts.

I do hope that I will follow my best intentions and shop there. The neighborhood needs this thing, so it needs the encouragement of locals to keep going. Wherever you are, you ought likewise to support such events and organizations. Small farms may be almost gone, but they aren't entirely, and one can have a lot to do with sustaining them. They are needed, of course- where is the romance and appeal in factory farms. You can't entertain children with songs like that. Just try and read them Sinclair's 'The Jungle'. It cuts no ice with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?