Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rebuke

It's funny how society is now. We're very polarized, by which I mean that we are bi-polar. We're of two minds at once in that we are both utterly insensitive of how other feel as well as wildly hyper-sensitive. We trample over some with impunity, and kowtow to others who seem not at all distinct from the others or remotely special in their own right. It frustrates me to see how there is no one to stand up to that latter group.

I'll tell you who I'm thinking of. It's Philadelphians. With them it's always about their precious cheese steak sandwiches. They're pretty good. Philadelphians elevate them into some heavenly manna. It's not all they eat, is it? It can't be, as unhealthy as they are for you. I do like them, but one has to have some variety. There are other good foods from other places, but to them nothing could be better than their provincial sandwich.

Again, I do like cheese steaks. I could eat one now. But it seems like much of a Philadelphian's interest is in using the sandwich as something to build a private club around. You've got to know the terminology, you've got to have it in a certain way from a certain place, and it goes on and on like that. I have no interest in jumping through a lot of hoops to impress somebody whose greatest attribute is being from some hardscrabble city.

Other people don't think like I do. They bend over backwards for the Philadelphian, doing every little thing that it is claimed you are supposed to with the sandwich. They grant all kinds of power and authority to them. I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to have regular cheese and the canned cheese as well. I'm not going to make some pilgrimage to a couple of small restaurants over on the east coast like they're mosques in Mecca. Deal with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?