Monday, November 14, 2011

Actoring

Yesterday I finally got to a long-awaited acting gig. It was a modest endeavor, and rather because of the financial footing of the thing than because of the talent level concerned. I felt fortunate to be involved with as many fine performers and other creative types as I was on the occasion, for it is not always the case. I'm not yet some kind of accomplished professional whose keen eye for such projects is rightly admired, but I can say that I was more interested than average in this one.

The script, vigorously protected as it was, was a good one. I certainly do not deny my selfish streak, and the character assigned to me looked to be a fun one. I got the idea that, although I was called on to wear a suit, I was not selected merely because I was known to own one. It was perhaps presumed that I did as it was that the others did, but I trust that I made the cut against other suit-owning actors because of other merits.

Some manner of chemistry was evident in rehearsal and carried through the day of production (for indeed there was only one day in which to shoot a considerable amount of material). It was a trying day at many points, as days on the set always are, but spirits remained high with regard to the difficulties of shooting a movie all through the morning, afternoon and into the night. I had some good lines, enjoyed the delivery of my friends who likewise did, met some neat new people and got to do some fun things.

We come now to what might be as onerous as any part of the production. In theater, there is an immediate payoff. The audience laughs, cries, groans and screams before your eyes. They even guide you as to how you should proceed. That isn't there when shooting a movie. I must wait to see the finished product and to ascertain how the audience, such as it may be, likes what we did. I do hope that they and I love it, and that  we both see it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?