Saturday, November 5, 2011

Be Square

I've written about my affection for coffee, but I must say that there is no affection unless the coffee is nearly a confection. That is to say that it has got to be fairly sweet. I usually have plenty of cream and plenty of sugar in there. I suppose that the latter is somewhat out of fashion, but unlike some I don't consider denying a truth to change it any. I'll just admit that I put a good amount of sugar into my coffee, all right?

It's surprising the options you have, especially now. I mostly have used good, refined cane sugar from Hawaii. Sometimes I have used artificial stuff, and sometimes that peculiar stuff which I understand is made from sugar cane but is somehow not the same. Brown sugar and powdered sugar do not work especially well. Sweetened, condensed milk is interesting. The thing that I am using presently is sugar cubes.

For whatever reason, you must pay a premium for cubes. I assume that there is some kind of resource heavy, labor-intensive process to squeeze the sugar into cube form. It must be quite a sight to see. I suppose that I prefer to use my imagination though, as I have built it up quite a bit in my mind and probably would feel let down by whatever less exciting process it probably is. In any case, I have to pay more.

The additional expense is worth it in my mind. I only have to dirty one spoon once this way. I do it like this: I pour a cup of coffee. I pour creamer right into the mug. I drop four sugar cubes on top of that. They punch through the drift of powdered creamer. I push the little spoon in after them, vigorously stirring it about until I can detect no trace of solid cube. I dispose of the spoon and I drink the coffee. It's simple, and that's what I like. Thanks, sugar cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?