Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Bold Life

As I write this, I am taking a chance. I was given by a friend some leftover lime-ade (or limeade as it appears to be spelled) after some gathering that now escapes me. As I often do upon receiving such gifts, I put it away and thought no more about it. Plenty of times when I was thirsty, I chose something else, on occasion going to great lengths to get something rather than just drinking the limeade that I had. I can't explain that.

Every day made me more reticent about drinking it, but finally I took the carton out and examined it. I found that the expiration (or 'best by') date had passed, but decide that I would be the judge of whether it was truly done for. After all, the company must be overly cautious for fear of lawsuits from the stupid and ignorant. I could decide with a high probability whether it was safe. I got out a glass and poured it full of the limeade.

I did this after smelling the open container. It seemed all right. I then, as I said, poured a glass and smelled that. It remained consistent with the smell I had gotten before. I tasted a little. It tasted fine, which is to say that it tasted as limeade should according to my understanding. There was no indication of fermentation taking places or any other kind of contamination. I may tend to prefer lemonade to limeade (on the grounds of taste as well as ease of spelling), but it seemed fine.

Perhaps this is a long-term thing. It may be so that I will suffer ill effects after some length of time, whether that be shortly after completing this, or any length of time in excess of that. I don't know, not being a doctor, a maker of citrus drinks or a psychic. I expect no problems and counsel my readers not to take issue with my rash decision or to be concerned about what might befall me. However, if I should miss any days in the immediate future, that may be an indication that unforeseen consequences of drinking the limeade may have indeed come to pass, and you should take measures to confirm my good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?